I’ve seen Star Wars probably about a hundred times. Every time George Lucas makes a few improvements and puts out the “Hyper-Deluxe Ultimate Edition DVD” to milk his franchise for a few more dollars, he ends up pissing off the super fans who have a long laundry list of errors we want fixed. Well here it is, 2014, and we have the technology to do it ourselves. A person code-named “Adywan” has created the perfect fan edit of “A New Hope” which addresses many of the little things that nags us when we watch it one more time. Naturally, George Lucas isn’t happy, because he doesn’t see a dime from it. You get this film from bittorrent, of course, but it is also on YouTube in ten minute segments if you want to sample it. I consider THIS the definitive version now.
The big fixes:
1. Removed the horrible blue hazing as the stardestroyer’s engine comes into view
2. Added a jerk to the motion of the Tantive IV as it is hit and speeded up the star field in that shot so the Tantive IV seems to be moving as fast as it did in previous shots.
3. Colour correction of the whole film to remove the blue tint. The Tantive IV’s walls are now white.
4. Added blast flashes to the troopers where they are hit
5. Corrected issues where the blasters flash as if they were fired on set but no laser bolts were present. Added the lasers to fix this throughout.
6. Added blinking lights to Vader’s chest plate and Vader’s eyes re-coloured to remove the red tint.
7. As the escape pod blasts off it now begins to rotate as it does in the rest of the shots.
8. Changed the stars & star destroyer view from inside the pod so the ship & stars now recede at different rates
9. You now see the escape pod enter the atmosphere of Tatooine.
10. Every FX shot has been either touched up or redone in some form or another, but too many to mention every one.
11. As Luke races out of the Garage to use his macrobinoculars Adywan has added 3PO running out of the doorway to fix an error that he suddenly appears out of nowhere.
12. All macrobinocular graphics changed.
13. Smoothed the jump cut where Luke ignites the sabre in Obi-Wan’s hut
14. Added a new Death Star sequence prior to the conference room scene to give the Death Star a better reveal. It now orbits a planet in all shots up until it is reported that it is fully operational.
15. Changed the torture droid’s syringe arm. Removed the writing and added a laser effect.
16. Mos Eisley approach re-edited. Removed some of the creatures on the first shot & extended the path of the landspeeder so it now fully enters the town.
17. Added facial movements to some cantina creatures.
18. More facial movements & blinks for Greedo
19. HAN SHOOTS FIRST!! Greedo no longer shoots either.
20. Removed the Jabba scene
21. Added the missing middle strut to all the Falcons cockpit window scenes.
22. Added the blue glow back to the Falcons engines.
23. As the Falcon escapes Tatooine it now actually does some manoeuvres.
24. New Alderaan for all the viewscreen shots and new Alderaan explosion.
25. Re-rotoscoped all lightsabres.
26. Re-composited the holo chess character so they look more like holograms now.
27. Fixed the jump cut as Luke turns off his sabre.
28. In the scene where Vader says “I told you she would never….” he gestures after he has stopped talking. This has been fixed.
29. More asteroids when the Falcon reaches the Alderaan system
30. Added the censored shot of the officer being hit as they break into the control room.
31. Re-coloured the displays in the control room so they are no longer black & white
32. The Death Star’s interiors are now metallic grey instead of the horrible blue.
33. In the final shots of this sequence a trooper falls down the stairs but only the scenery was hit. The trooper now gets hit.
34. New tractor beam matte shots.
35. New wider shot of Luke & Leia as they swing across the chasm. They now look to be a lot higher up.
36. Re-edited the lightsabre duel to give it a faster pace
37. Replaced the dummy of Ben as Vader kills him. You now see his face and Vader actually slices through him and you see him disappear.
38. Redone the TIE battle sequence so the falcon no longer appears to be just sitting there and added a few new shots.
39. When 3PO is entangled in the wires after the battle, again the close up of R2 has the death star interior background. It now has the correct Falcon corridor background.
40. Added the Hyperspace wormhole to the cockpit sequence.
41. New Death Star schematics.
42. Added Yavin to the rear cockpit windows of the fighters as they report in and to various shots throughout the battle.
43. Re-coloured R2 so his dome is now blue and not black in all space shots.
44. Added new shots throughout the sequence including a whole new TIE battle sequence
45. The rebel command centre table now includes holograms
46. Fixed the issue with the Trench approach where the shots clearly change from a flat matte to a model shot after the flash and really jumps out at you. It flows together between both sources better now. Also both times we see it they used the same shot. Each one now has slight differences to them.
47. A lot of shots throughout the Death Star battle the cockpit shots just have a plain black background. All cockpit shots now show what should be visible outside.
48. A very slight edit to the Biggs death scene. Luke now reacts better to the death of his friend.
49. You now see the death star begin to fire as it explodes
50. Chewie now gets a medal!